Decorate your tree with rustic charm with this simple DIY wood slice tree ornaments. Dress up the wood rounds with evergreen trees and bells for a festive dollar store craft.
Wood slice tree ornaments are a delightful addition to your holiday decor. These homemade ornaments are made from natural wood slices and can be customized to fit your personal style. Whether you prefer a rustic, farmhouse look or a more modern and minimalist design, these ornaments are versatile and easy to make. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of creating your own diy wood slice ornaments and provide tips and variations to inspire your creativity.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Project:
There are several reasons why you’ll love making wood slice tree ornaments. Firstly, they add a touch of rustic charm to your own tree or holiday decorations. The natural wood grain and texture create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Secondly, these ornaments are budget-friendly and can be made using affordable materials, such as wood slices, twine, and small bells all from the dollar store. Lastly, this project allows you to unleash your creativity and personalize each of the wood ornaments to match your unique style and preferences.
Supplies for Easy Wood Slice Ornaments
Some of these supplies you might have on hand, can get from your yard or craft supplies, or online or at a local craft store.
- 1 wood slice ornament
- 2 pieces of twine
- Small gold-colored bells (amount depends on size of wood slice)
- Green acrylic paint (Arbor Green from Apple Barrel used)
- Small paint brush
- Glue gun and glue stick(s)
How to Make a Rustic Wood Slice Tree Ornament:
- Determine which side of the wood slice you want to use as the front. If there is not a pre-drilled whole in your wood circles drill a small hole through the top of the wood slice to run the twine through.
- Carefully glue small gold-colored bells in a circle around the wood slice, just below the hanging hole.
- Tie one piece of twine into a bow and trim any excess length. Glue the bow to the bottom of the wood slice, just below the bells.
- Using green acrylic paint and a small paintbrush, paint a simple tree design in the center of the bell. Feel free to make the adorable wood slice ornaments your own.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Tie the second piece of twine through the hanging hole and secure it with a knot. If no whole feel free to tie a knot to form a circle in the second piece of twine and glue the knot to the back of the wood slice.
Tips for Making your own Ornaments
- Feel free to create different styles of trees using different brush strokes or shades of paint. You could even go for a more modern look by using black paint or white paint.
- Paint pens are another way to create the tree branches on the custom ornaments. Consider a gold paint pen for a more metallic look, or keep it natural looking with the green.
- If you want to seal your tree painting, paint the tree first. Allow to dry and follow up with a thin layer of Mod Podge. Allow to dry and complete the other steps.
Variations for the Rustic Wood Slice Tree Ornament:
You can change up this craft in so many easy ways. Here are some of my favorite ways to make your own wood ornaments.
- Painted Designs: Instead of painting a tree in the center of the bell, you can experiment with different designs such as snowflakes, stars, or even personalized initials. Use acrylic paints in various colors to create a festive and eye-catching ornament.
- Embellishments: Add extra flair to your wood slice ornament by incorporating additional embellishments. Consider attaching small pinecones, faux berries, or miniature ornaments to the twine or around the edges of the wood slice.
- Natural Materials: Instead of painting a design, embrace the natural beauty of the wood slice by leaving it unpainted. Enhance the rustic look by attaching a small bundle of dried twigs or a sprig of evergreen to the twine.
- Customize: Make a special ornament to enjoy each and every following year by adding personalization with a paint marker or permanent marker. Adding Baby’s First Christmas, our First Christmas, or even just the year is a fun way to commemorate special milestones and enjoy each year when you put out the Christmas decor.
- Different Fun Designs: Don’t stop with just the tree silhouettes. Go on an make your own designs that could include snowflakes, a gingerbread man, a candy cane, or any other Christmas symbols.
Common Questions about Wood Slice Tree Ornaments:
Can I use any type of wood slice for this project?
While any type of wood slice can be used, it is recommended to choose a slice that is smooth and has a diameter of around 2-3 inches. Birch, pine, or maple wood slices are popular choices for this craft.
Where can I find wood slices for this project?
Wood slices can be found at the dollar store, any craft store, online retailers, or even made at home by cutting a log into thin slices. Alternatively, you can also repurpose fallen branches or tree stumps or limbs from your backyard.
How to Use the Rustic Wood Slice Tree Ornament:
Once your wood slice tree ornament is complete, it can be used in various ways to enhance your holiday decor. Here are a few ideas:
- Hang the ornament on your Christmas tree, either individually or as part of a themed set.
- Attach the ornament to gifts as unique and personalized gift tags.
- Create a festive garland by stringing multiple wood slice ornaments together with twine.
- Display the new ornament on a decorative branch or in a glass jar as a centerpiece.
With its rustic charm and customizable design, the wood slice tree ornament is a perfect addition to your holiday decorations. Get creative and enjoy the process of making these unique ornaments that will bring warmth and joy to your home during this time of year throughout the holiday season.
More Christmas Ideas to Try this Christmas season for the entire family:
- Christmas Movies to Watch
- Inspiring Christmas Tree Decor ideas
- Scented Gingerbread Ornaments
- Christmas Printable Stories and Gift Ideas
- Name That Christmas Carol Game
- Inspiring Christmas Trees
- More Free Printables
Please Pin this post for later and follow along on Pinterest:
I’m Emily, a mom and wife with a passion for crafting, celebrating holidays, and creating memorable moments. From Idaho to the world, The Benson Street is a treasure trove of easy, fun DIY projects, delightful printables, and delicious recipes. With over a decade of experience in blogging and a love for all things seasonal, I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and occasional mishaps. Join me in adding a dash of joy and creativity to every day! Read more…