Take a cute treat to your next holiday party with Santa Hat Cupcakes. This holiday treat looks just like Santa hats and can even be made by kids for a Christmas party activity.
Santa Hat Cupcakes are a delightful and visually appealing treat that will bring joy to any holiday gathering. These cupcakes are not only delicious, but also easy to make, thanks to the use of store-bought ingredients. With a swirl of red frosting and a cute mini marshmallow “hat,” these cupcakes are sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love These Santa Cupcakes
These Santa Hat Cupcakes are a crowd-pleaser for several reasons. Firstly, they are incredibly easy to make, saving you time and effort in the kitchen at this busy but favorite time of year. Secondly, the combination of moist cupcakes and creamy frosting is simply irresistible. The red frosting adds a festive touch, making these cupcakes perfect for holiday parties and gatherings. Lastly, the mini marshmallows not only add a cute decoration but also provide a delightful texture contrast to the soft cupcake and creamy frosting of this Santa Hat Cupcake Recipe.
Santa Hat Cupcake Ingredients
This recipe is designed to be simple, but look amazing and fun for the holiday seaon.
- Premade store-bought or box-made cupcakes (vanilla or chocolate)
- White frosting, store bought or homemade frosting
- Red gel food coloring (regular red food coloring works too)
- Mini marshmallows
While this is a very simple recipe for the holiday season, you might want to grab these supplies before starting to make the fun Santa hat cupcakes.
- Large round tip for frosting the top of the cupcakes (a star tip could be used, but it will give the cupcakes a different look)
- Frosting piping bags
- Festive cupcake paper liners
- Electric mixer
How to Make the Santa Hat Cupcakes Recipe
- Line Cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Start by baking the store-bought or homemade vanilla or chocolate cupcakes according to the directions on the box.
- Once you bake cupcakes allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before proceeding.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the canister of frosting. Gradually add red food coloring and stir until the color is evenly distributed and reaches your desired shade of red.
- Transfer the red frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a large piping tip. This will allow you to create a beautiful swirl pattern on top of each cupcake, resembling Santa’s hat.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl motion, starting from the center and working your way outwards. This will create the shape of Santa’s hat.
- To complete the look, place mini marshmallows around the base of the frosting and edge of the cupcake, representing the fluffy trim of Santa’s hat. Place one mini marshmallow on top of each hat to mimic the pom-pom.
- Eat your cute Santa hat cupcakes while watching a Christmas movie, spending time with family, or at a party.
Variations on the Easy Santa Hat Cupcakes
If you’re looking to change things up a bit, here are a few variations you can try:
Cupcake Flavors: You can use any cupcake flavor. Instead of using the white cake shown in the pictures, try using chocolate, funfetti, or red velvet cupcakes, opt for vanilla cupcakes for a lighter flavor. You could even find a Christmas Funfetti to a make a fun Christmas cupcake. Any boxed cake mix or cupcake recipe you have will work.
Frosting Flavors: If you prefer a cream cheese frosting over a traditional vanilla, feel free to use your favorite.
Frosting Colors: Experiment with different colors of frosting to match the theme of your event or personal preference. Use green to make elf hats. You could even mix colors by adding two colors to a piping bag to make a swirl pattern.
Embellishments: Add sprinkles or edible glitter on top of the frosting for an extra festive touch.
Storage and Make-Ahead
These Santa Hat Cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. However, if you plan to make them ahead of time, it’s best to store the unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container and frost them just before serving. This will ensure that the cupcakes stay fresh and the frosting maintains its shape.
Common Questions about Santa Hat Cupcakes
1. How long does it take to make Santa Hat Cupcakes?
The total time for this recipe is approximately 10 minutes, excluding the baking and cooling time for the cupcakes.
2. Can I use homemade cupcakes instead of store-bought?
Absolutely! If you prefer homemade cupcakes, feel free to use your favorite recipe as a base for this festive treat of delicious cupcakes.
3. Can I use a different type of frosting?
While the recipe suggests using store-bought frosting, you can certainly make your own frosting if you prefer. Just make sure to add red food coloring to achieve the desired festive look.
4. Can you double the recipe?
Make more of these fun christmas time treats by doubling the recipe for more cupcakes if you are sharing at a party. Be sure to adjust to a large bowl when mixing up the vanilla frosting with the red food coloring.
In conclusion, Santa Hat Cupcakes are a delightful and visually appealing easy Christmas dessert that will add a touch of holiday spirit to any gathering. With their festive appearance that is reminiscent of Santa Claus and delicious taste, these easy Christmas cupcakes are sure to become a favorite among both kids and adults. So why not spread some holiday cheer by making these adorable Santa Hat Cupcakes for your next celebration during the Christmas holidays?
Santa Hat Cupcakes
- piping bag
- round piping tip
- cupcake liners
- 12 premade store bought / box made cupcakes
- Red food coloring
- 5 oz mini marshmallows
- Santa Hat Cupcake Directions:
- 1 canister vanilla frosting can sub homemade vanilla frosting
- Store bought or homemade chocolate cupcakes bake according to directions and cool completely
- In a medium size bowl add a canister of frosting and add red food coloring. Stir until red is completely incorporated and the desired color is met.
- In a large piping bag with a large piping tip add the frosting.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl motion to create a “hat”
- Add mini marshmallows around the base of the frosting and one on top.
More Christmas Ideas to Try this Christmas season for the entire family:
- Christmas Movies to Watch
- Inspiring Christmas Tree Decor ideas
- Scented Gingerbread Ornaments
- Christmas Printable Stories and Gift Ideas
- Name That Christmas Carol Game
- Inspiring Christmas Trees
- More Free Printables
Please Pin this post for later and follow along on Pinterest:
I’m Emily, a mom and wife with a passion for crafting, celebrating holidays, and creating memorable moments. From Idaho to the world, The Benson Street is a treasure trove of easy, fun DIY projects, delightful printables, and delicious recipes. With over a decade of experience in blogging and a love for all things seasonal, I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and occasional mishaps. Join me in adding a dash of joy and creativity to every day! Read more…