Celebrate Valentine’s Day with this pretty Valentine Cupcakes Recipe for Chocolate cupcakes. The edible chocolate heart decorations on top, give these cupcakes a wow factor for February 14th.
Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to treat yourself and your loved ones to something sweet and indulgent. These Valentine cupcakes are a delightful combination of rich chocolate and creamy pink vanilla buttercream frosting. Whether you’re celebrating with your significant other, friends, or family, these cupcakes are sure to impress and satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth, don’t forget to print out a Valentine gift tag to glift with these cupcakes as a great way to share these adorable Valentine’s Day cupcakes.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
There are so many reasons to love this Valentine cupcakes recipe. First and foremost, the chocolate cupcakes are incredibly moist cupcakes and very flavorful, thanks to the addition of cold brew coffee. The combination of butter and oil ensures a tender crumb, while the buttermilk adds a subtle tanginess. The pink vanilla buttercream frosting is smooth, creamy, and perfectly sweet, complementing the chocolate cupcakes beautifully. The addition of red and white chocolate hearts on top adds a festive touch and makes these cupcakes even more visually appealing.
Here are the ingredients you will need before getting started on this delicious cupcake batter.
- All-purpose flour (or if you prefer use cake flour)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Cold brew coffee
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Red food coloring
- Red and white melting wafers
How to Make the Valentine’s Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, coffee, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- In the meantime, melt the red and white chocolate wafers and pipe heart shapes onto parchment paper. Let them set.
- To make the frosting, beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, cream, vanilla extract, and salt, mixing until smooth and fluffy.
- Add red or pink food colouring to achieve the desired pink shade.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and frost the cupcakes with a large star tip. Insert the chocolate hearts on top of each decadent chocolate cupcake.
Places to Share these Chocolate Valentine’s Day Cupcakes:
These Valentine cupcakes are perfect for a special occasion and a variety of settings. Here are a few ideas:
- Valentine’s Day parties or gatherings: Impress your guests with these homemade cupcakes as a sweet treat.
- School or office celebrations: Share the love by bringing these cupcakes to school or work to celebrate Valentine’s Day with your classmates or colleagues.
- Romantic date night: Surprise your love of your life with a batch of these cupcakes for a romantic dessert after a special dinner.
- Family dessert: Enjoy these cupcakes with your loved ones during a cozy night in or as a special treat for the whole family as a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.
Variations for the Recipe:
While this recipe is already delicious as is, you can get creative and add your own personal touch. Here are a few variations to consider:
- Add sprinkles: Decorate the cupcakes with Valentine-themed sprinkles for an extra festive touch. Pink sprinkles or red are great valentine themed ideas.
- Fillings: Inject a surprise filling into the cupcakes, such as raspberry reduction/jam or chocolate ganache, for an added burst of flavor.
- Different frosting flavors: Experiment with different flavored frostings, such as strawberry or cream cheese frosting, to switch things up.
- Cupcake Flavor: Feel free to make vanilla cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, pink velvet cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, or any recipe for a cupcakes base or cake mix that you have on hand.
- Frosting Color: Feel free to use the white frosting as is, or add in any other color of food coloring from pink to red or even purple. You can also adjust the colors of the chocolate heart melts to match your preferences.
- Heart-Shaped Cupcakes: Add a marble to create a heart shape. Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners. Then insert a marble between the liner and the edge to achieve the shape of heart cupcakes.
Can the Recipe Be Stored or Made Ahead?
Yes, these cupcakes can be made ahead of time and stored for a few days. Once frosted, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you prefer to make the cupcakes ahead of time and frost them later, store the unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Frost them just before serving for the best taste and appearance and a perfect way to plan ahead.
Common Questions about Valentine Cupcakes:
Can I use regular brewed coffee instead of cold brew coffee?
Yes, you can substitute regular brewed coffee for cold brew coffee in this recipe. However, cold brew coffee tends to have a smoother and less acidic flavor, which enhances the overall taste of the cupcakes.
Can I use decaf coffee?
Yes, this will eliminate the caffeine content and keep a similar flavor.
Can I use a different type of food coloring?
Absolutely! Feel free to use any food coloring you prefer or have on hand. Gel food coloring is recommended for achieving vibrant colors without altering the consistency of the frosting.
Can I freeze the cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze the cupcakes without the frosting. Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature before frosting and serving.
Valentine’s Day Chocolate Cupcakes with Pink Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP heavy cream
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Red food coloring
- ¼ cup red melting wafers
- ¼ cup white melting wafers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cupcake liners to a pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, oil, coffee, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a hand mixer for 1 minute or until the batter is fully combined and smooth.
- Scoop 3 Tbsp of mixture into each cupcake liner. Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack and allow to come to room temperature before frosting.
Chocolate Heart Directions:
- Warm chocolates in the microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted. Transfer to a piping bag with a very fine tip and pipe red and white hearts onto parchment paper. Allow chocolate to set.
- To make the frosting, add butter to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium high speed for 1 minute. Reduce speed and slowly add in powdered sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. Continue to mix until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Add in food coloring until desired pink shade has been achieved. Transfer frosting to a piping bag.
These Valentine cupcakes are a sweet treat that will make your Valentine’s Day celebration even more special. With their rich chocolate flavor, creamy pink vanilla buttercream frosting, and adorable chocolate hearts on top, these cupcakes are sure to impress your loved ones. Whether you’re enjoying them at a party, on a romantic date night, or as a family dessert, these cupcakes are guaranteed to bring joy and sweetness to your Valentine’s Day.
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Free Printable Valentine’s Day Tags, Flags, and Cute Cards
- Valentine Rice Crispies
- Valentine Dessert Plate
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Raspberries
- Valentine Jelly Roll Dessert
- Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day
- Black Forest Jar Cakes
- ALL of my Valentine Ideas
Please pin this post for later and follow along on Pinterest:
I’m Emily, a mom and wife with a passion for crafting, celebrating holidays, and creating memorable moments. From Idaho to the world, The Benson Street is a treasure trove of easy, fun DIY projects, delightful printables, and delicious recipes. With over a decade of experience in blogging and a love for all things seasonal, I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and occasional mishaps. Join me in adding a dash of joy and creativity to every day! Read more…