Conversation heart cupcakes are the perfect addition to a perfect Valentine’s Day. Make these Sweet Conversation heart cupcakes that are decorated to look like conversation heart candy.
Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to indulge in some delicious and adorable treats, and these Conversation Heart Cupcakes are sure to steal your heart. Made with a simple vanilla cupcake mix and topped with colorful frosting, these cupcakes are not only tasty but also visually appealing. Whether you’re celebrating with your true love, friends, or family, these cupcakes are a delightful addition to any Valentine’s Day gathering.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
These Conversation Heart Cupcakes are not only delicious but also a fun and creative way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. The soft and moist vanilla cupcakes paired with the creamy and colorful frosting make for a delightful combination. The conversation heart decorations add a touch of nostalgia and whimsy, making these cupcakes perfect for both kids and adults.
- 1 box of vanilla cupcake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
- 1 canister of vanilla frosting
- Red writing gel
- Food coloring (purple, yellow, green, and orange)
How to Make the Recipe:
- Preheat the oven according to the directions on the cupcake mix.
- Prepare the cupcake mix according to the package instructions on the box mix. Place batter in a muffin pan. Use a cupcake liner for each cupcake in the ban.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Tear off a large piece of wax paper and place it on a wire rack. This will be used to flip the cupcakes later.
- Divide the canister of white frosting into four equal parts. Add one drop of each food coloring to each bowl of frosting, creating light pastel colors reminiscent of conversation hearts.
- Frost three cupcakes with each color of frosting, making sure to cover the top completely.
- Carefully place the frosted cupcakes, frosting side down, onto the wax paper-covered wire rack. Repeat until all cupcakes are frosted and flipped upside down.
- Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the frosting to set.
- Remove the cupcakes from the refrigerator and gently peel them off the wax paper.
- Place a heart-shaped cookie cutter on the top of each cupcake to create a light outline of a heart shape.
- Trace the outlined heart with red writing gel. Within the heart, write classic conversation heart phrases like “LUV U,” “SMILE,” and “HUGS,” or get creative and come up with your own unique sayings.
Chocolate Lovers: Swap the vanilla cupcake mix for a chocolate one or chocolate cupcake recipe (this is another homemade cupcakes option for a Valentine’s Day). Decorate with white writing gel to mimic the look of conversation hearts.
Strawberry Sweethearts: Add a few drops of strawberry extract to the cupcake batter for a fruity twist or use a strawberry cake mix for strawberry cupcakes. Use pink and red food coloring for the frosting and decorate with heart-shaped sprinkles.
Lemon Zest: Add a teaspoon of lemon zest to the cupcake batter for a refreshing citrus flavor.
Storage and Make-Ahead:
These Conversation Heart Cupcakes are best enjoyed fresh, but if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. If you want to make them ahead of time, you can bake the cupcakes and prepare the frosting in advance. Store the cupcakes and frosting separately in the refrigerator, and frost the cupcakes and decorate them with the conversation hearts a couple hours before serving.
Common Questions about Conversation Heart Cupcakes:
Can I use homemade cupcake batter instead of a mix?
Absolutely! If you prefer to make your own cupcake batter from scratch, feel free to do so. Just make sure it’s a vanilla-flavored recipe.
Can I use different colors for the frosting?
Of course! Get creative and use any colors you like. The key is to keep them light and pastel to mimic the look of conversation hearts.
Can I use different writing gel colors?
Yes, you can use different colors for the writing gel. Red is traditional, but feel free to experiment with other colors to match your theme or personal preference. White would make for a pretty pastel design.
Can I use different frosting flavors?
Absolutely! While vanilla frosting is classic and pairs well with the vanilla cupcakes, you can use any frosting flavor you like. Chocolate, strawberry, or even cream cheese frosting would all be delicious choices. But using a white frosting works best for coloring the frosting to look like the candy conversation hearts.
Ideas for Using the Valentine’s Day Cupcakes:
Here are some ideas for using the conversation heart cupcakes themselves:
Valentine’s Day parties: These cupcakes are perfect for classroom parties, office celebrations, or any Valentine’s Day gathering.
Gift for loved ones: Surprise your significant other, friends, or family members with a box of these homemade conversation heart cupcakes. Don’t forget to add a cute Valentine’s Gift Tag when gifting.
Dessert table centerpiece: Arrange these cupcakes on a dessert table as a festive and eye-catching centerpiece.
Galentine’s Day: Celebrate with your gal pals on February 13th. Add special Galentine’s themed candy hearts messages on the cupcakes.
Conversation Heart Cupcakes
- 1 box of vanilla cupcake mix plus ingredients to make it
- 1 canister of vanilla frosting
- 1 red writing gel
- Food coloring purple, yellow, green, and orange
- Preheat the oven according to the directions.
- Cook box cupcake mix according to directions in muffin lined pan. They will be done when a toothpick is inserted into the middle of the cupcakes with no residue.
- Let cool completely.
- Tear off a large piece of wax paper and place on a wire rack that cupcakes were cooling on, set aside.
- Take the canister of frosting and split into 4 equal parts. Add 1 drop of each food coloring to each bowl of frosting. Keeping the colors light to mimic conversation hearts.
- Frost 3 cupcakes with each color. Frost the top of the cupcake with enough frosting to cover the top completely.
- Place the frosting side down onto the wax paper covered wire rack. Repeat until all cupcakes are frosted and flipped upside down.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and carefully peel the cupcakes off the wax paper.
- Place a heart shaped cookie cutter gently on the top of the cupcake to create a light heart outline.
- Trace the outlined heart with red writing gel. Within the heart write “ LUV U”, “SMILE”, and “HUGS” or create your own unique sayings.
These Conversation Heart Cupcakes are a delightful and delicious way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. With their soft vanilla flavor, creamy frosting, and adorable conversation heart decorations, they are sure to bring a smile to your loved ones’ faces. Whether you’re hosting a Valentine’s Day party or simply want to indulge in a sweet treat, these cupcakes are the perfect choice. So go ahead, bake a batch, and spread some love with these charming conversation heart cupcakes. Happy Valentine’s Day!
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Free Printable Valentine’s Day Tags, Flags, and Cute Cards
- Valentine Rice Crispies
- Valentine Dessert Plate
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Raspberries
- Valentine Jelly Roll Dessert
- Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day
- Black Forest Jar Cakes
- ALL of my Valentine Ideas
Please pin this post for later and follow along on Pinterest:
I’m Emily, a mom and wife with a passion for crafting, celebrating holidays, and creating memorable moments. From Idaho to the world, The Benson Street is a treasure trove of easy, fun DIY projects, delightful printables, and delicious recipes. With over a decade of experience in blogging and a love for all things seasonal, I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and occasional mishaps. Join me in adding a dash of joy and creativity to every day! Read more…