Serve up a delicious breakfast of heart beignets with chocolate gravy dipping sauce on February 14th or any day with a bit of love. Follow this simple beignet recipe to make a fun treat.
Everytime we visit Disneyland it is a bit of a contest as to whether the Mickey beignets or the Fluffernutter Churro is the best treat. Both are good, although my vote generally goes to the churro, today I’m sharing my delicious recipe for heart-shaped beignets with chocolate gravy sauce. These delightful treats are a twist on the classic New Orleans beignets, a popular French pastry. Made with a light and fluffy dough, fried to perfection, and dusted with powdered sugar, these heart beignets are sure to steal your heart. And the addition of a rich and creamy chocolate sauce takes them to a whole new level of indulgence.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. First and foremost, the taste. The heart beignets are soft and pillowy on the inside, with a crispy golden exterior. The powdered sugar adds a touch of sweetness, while the chocolate gravy provides a luscious and decadent element. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Secondly, these heart-shaped beignets are not only delicious, but also visually appealing. The heart shape adds a touch of romance, fun, and makes them perfect for special occasions like Valentine’s Day or anniversaries. They are a great way to show your love and impress your loved ones with a homemade treat.
Here is a list of ingredients you will need for the entire recipe. Grab these items at the grocery store to make homemade fresh beignets.
- Lukewarm water
- Large Eggs
- Powdered sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
Chocolate Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- Cocoa powder
- All Purpose Flour
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
How to Make the Recipe:
Feel free to make this in any order you like, although I find it is easier to make the chocolate sauce near the end of the time while the beignet dough is resting and right before rolling out and cooking to ensure warm fresh beignets.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Allow the yeast to activate by letting it sit for 5 minutes or until it starts to bubble.
- Add eggs and oil to the yeast mixture and whisk to incorporate.
- Gradually add flour and salt to the mixture, mixing until there is no more dry flour to form soft dough. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into two pieces and roll each piece out to ¼ inch thickness using a rolling pin.
- Using a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes from the dough. Continue shaping and rolling the dough until you have cut out all the hearts.
- Fill a deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil and heat it on medium-high heat. Fry each dough heart in hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place the fried beignets on a paper towels to drain excess oil, then sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Alternatively, place in a paper bag with powdered sugar and shake to coat.
Chocolate Sauce Instructions:
- To make the chocolate sauce, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, and sugar in a small saucepan. Add milk and whisk frequently over medium heat until fully incorporated and there are no clumps. Let the sauce cook until boiling and thickened.
- Remove the chocolate sauce from heat and stir in coconut oil and vanilla extract.
Places to Take this Recipe to:
These heart-shaped beignets are perfect for a variety of occasions. They make a delightful breakfast or brunch treat, especially for special occasions like Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras, or Mother’s Day. They can also be served as a dessert or a sweet snack for parties or gatherings. The heart shape adds a touch of romance and makes them a great choice for anniversaries or date nights. You can also package them up in a cute box or bag and give them as a homemade gift to someone special.
Variations for the Recipe:
While these heart-shaped beignets are delicious on their own, you can also get creative and add some variations to change things up a bit. Here are a few ideas:
- Fill the beignets with a sweet filling like Nutella, fruit preserves, or cream cheese.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or a dash of your favorite spice to the dough for a different flavor profile.
- Drizzle the beignets with caramel sauce or a flavored glaze instead of the chocolate gravy.
- Serve the beignets with a side of fresh berries or a scoop of ice cream for an extra special treat.
Can the Recipe be Stored or Made Ahead?
These heart-shaped beignets are best enjoyed fresh and warm, but if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. However, they may lose some of their crispiness over time. The chocolate gravy can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week and reheated before serving.
Common Questions about Heart Beignets:
Can I use instant yeast instead of active dry yeast?
Yes, you can use instant yeast as a substitute for active dry yeast. However, you may need to adjust the amount and the rising time accordingly. Follow the instructions on the package for the appropriate conversion.
Can I bake the beignets instead of frying them?
While frying gives the beignets their characteristic texture and flavor, you can try baking them as an alternative. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the shaped dough hearts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Can I freeze the dough or the cooked beignets?
Yes, you can freeze the dough or the cooked beignets for later use. To freeze the dough, shape it into hearts and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid, then transfer the frozen hearts to a freezer bag or container. When ready to use, thaw the hearts in the refrigerator overnight, then fry or bake as directed. Cooked beignets can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw them at room temperature, then reheat in a preheated oven or microwave until warm.
Heart Beignets with Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 TBS yeast
- 3 TBS sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2.5 TBS cocoa powder
- 1.5 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
To make beignets:
- In a large mixing bowl add warm water, yeast, and sugar.
- Mix until well incorporated and allow yeast to sit for 5 minutes or until it starts to bubble.
- Once yeast has bubbled add in eggs and oil, whisk to incorporate.
- Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture, mix until there is no more dry flour.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate one hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has doubled in size, turn out on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough into two pieces and roll out to ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 2 inch heart cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes. Continue to shape and roll dough until you have all the hearts cut out.
- Fill a deep skillet with 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil.
- Once oil is hot, fry each dough heart 2-3 min on each side or until golden brown.
- Lay on a paper towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
To make chocolate sauce:
- Whisk together cocoa powder, flour, and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Add milk, turn heat to medium and whisk frequently until everything is fully incorporated and there are no more clumps.
- Let chocolate sauce cook until boiling and starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil and vanilla.
These heart-shaped beignets with chocolate gravy are a delightful and indulgent treat that will impress your loved ones and satisfy your sweet tooth. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply craving something delicious, these beignets are sure to hit the spot. With their fluffy texture, crispy exterior, and rich chocolate flavor, they are a perfect choice for any dessert table or brunch spread. So go ahead, give this recipe a try and enjoy the love and sweetness it brings.
More Valentines Day Ideas:
- Free Printable Valentine’s Day Tags, Flags, and Cute Cards
- The Best Valentine Cupcakes Recipes
- Valentine Rice Crispies
- Valentine Dessert Plate
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Raspberries
- Valentine Jelly Roll Dessert
- Romantic Movies for Valentine’s Day
- Black Forest Jar Cakes
- ALL of my Valentine Ideas
Please pin this post for later and follow along on Pinterest:
I’m Emily, a mom and wife with a passion for crafting, celebrating holidays, and creating memorable moments. From Idaho to the world, The Benson Street is a treasure trove of easy, fun DIY projects, delightful printables, and delicious recipes. With over a decade of experience in blogging and a love for all things seasonal, I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and occasional mishaps. Join me in adding a dash of joy and creativity to every day! Read more…