***This post may contain affiliate links.***
I know I shouldn’t be, but I am a sucker for breads. They are so delicious and the perfect comfort food. My mother always made these delicious and easy homemade ham and cheese croissants. They are great for dinners, lunches, snacks, even breakfast. Pair them with a veggie tray or salad for a fun meal that everyone will enjoy.
To make this a little bit easier, mix up the dough the night before and then do the shaping and baking the next day. This recipe seems like it is a lot of work, but it is nice because it is split up into steps. Do one and then come back a few hours later to finish, just my kind of recipe. Leave out the ham and cheese for plain croissants. Either way they are tasty.
Easy Ham & Cheese Croissants Recipe
- 1 package of yeast (1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- diced ham
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl soften yeast with warm water until bubbly.
- Add milk, salt, sugar, egg and 1 cup flour. Beat to make smooth.
- Then blend in the melted butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl cut 1 cup firm cold butter into 4 cups flour, until butter particles are the size of a small pea (a pastry cutter works wonders).
- Pour yeast batter over flour and butter mixture, carefully fold mixture to blend–just until all flour is moist, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Remove dough to floured board and knead 6 times.
- Divide into 4 equal parts for small to medium croissants for 2 parts for large croissants.
- Shape one part at a time. Roll out into a large circle, sprinkle with cheese and ham, and cut into wedges.
- Roll up each croissant and curl edges in.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet–cover and allow to raise for 3 hours.
- Brush with egg and water mixture.
- Bake at 375 Degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
Yields 32 medium or 16 large croissants.
What is your favorite comfort food?
[…] These are easy and delicious, ham and cheese croissants! […]