This post was originally shared on Skip to My Lou on June 30, 2015.
Summer is a time to have fun and travel, enjoy a good book and start making memories. Don’t let the kids forget all these fun memories. Help them to create their own hand bound mini journals. Keep track of books to read, bucket lists, and even photos in the adorable journals that don’t take much effort to whip up.
- 1 piece of cardstock paper cut to journal size (for the cover so pick out something cute)
- 6 to 10 sheets graph paper, lined paper or plain white computer paper cut to journal size (for the journal pages)
- waxed thread (find it at craft stores or even Walmart)
- a larger needle
1. To begin decide on the journal size. For an Instagram style photo book cut out covers and pages to 10 inches by 5 inches. For a smaller journal cut out a cover and pages to 6 inches by 4 inches. Fold the cover and pages in half and hold together like a book. Any size will work, so make not so mini journals if you would like.
2. Poke four holes through the cover and journal pages like the top right photo above using the needle.
3. Start by threading needle with waxed thread, but do not tie it off at the end.
4. Insert needle into the second hole going from left to right. Pull almost all the way through leaving a small tail for tying off at the end of the binding process.
5. On the outside cover insert the needle into the third hole and pull tight.
6. It should look like photo four.
7. Insert needle in the fourth hole on the inside of the book and pull tight.
8. The inside should look like photo six.
9. Insert needle in the third hole on the outside and pull tight.
10.Insert the needle in the second hole on the inside and pull tight.
11.Insert needle in the first hole on the outside and pull tight.
12. The outside of the journal should all have one binding in between each of the holes.
13. Insert needle into the second hole on the inside and pull tight.
14. Insert needle into the third hole on the outside and pull tight.
15. Insert needle into the fourth hole on the inside and pull tight.
16. Insert needle into the third hole on the outside and pull tight.
17.Insert needle into the second hole on the inside and pull tight.
18. Insert needle into the first hole on the outside and pull tight.
19. Tie off the beginning tail and the threaded needle into a knot.
20.Tie a double knot and trim off the ends. Be sure the inside of the journal binding matches this photo twenty.
21. All done, inspect your outside binding too. Leave closed journals under a heavy book to keep it closed better.
Journals are great for recording memories of road trips and fun times.
Make different sizes for different types of journals. Create a 5 inch by 5 inch book (the pink one) and print off 4 inch by 4 inch Instagram photos to make an album. Have fun embellishing with glitter, tape and add notes about the photos.
What a fun way to save cute photos! Create frames using washi tape on the paper.
Find scrapbook paper that fits the purpose of your journal. My “adventure” mini journal is to record all my fun summer travels and adventures. It is perfect for vacations and to use as a travel journal.
Don’t forget summer reading lists. Keep track of books to read, notes about what you are reading and check off any books you’ve read during the summer. This is perfect for kids to track their reading progress too. Create a summer reading program at home and have each child create a mini journal to record the fun.
I am in love with these adorable mini journals and I hope you are too.
If you loved this idea, I’m sure you will love these:
[…] Use paper to create your own handbound mini journals like these from The Benson Street. […]
[…] your own hand bound mini journals. They look hard but really it is super […]