Banana cake is a great and easy recipe to use up ripe bananas for a delicious treat. The frosting really sets this cake apart.
I’m a fan of banana bread, but I’ve always really loved this banana cake my mother made throughout my childhood and even now. There is something so great about the delicious buttercream style frosting that I love. I’m not the biggest fan of cream cheese frostings, so that is why I love this recipe. Whether you are a fan of cream cheese or buttercream frostings, you’ve got to try this yummy recipe.
So grab your ripe bananas and let’s get baking. You will need basic pantry staple baking ingredients for this banana cake recipe, plus ripe bananas.
The bananas create a delicious consistency that pairs delightfully! It is great for birthdays, a Sunday treat, or just to celebrate a Tuesday.
Banana Cake Recipe
This simple to make cake starts by mixing cake ingredients:
- baking powder
- baking soda
Beat ingredients together for about 30 seconds, transfer to prepared baking dish, and bake.
Mix together frosting ingredients:
- powdered sugar
Then spread frosting over cooled cake and enjoy. Yum! ?
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3-4 small/medium ripe/overripe bananas about 1 1/4 cups
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray or grease with butter and flour.
- Beat all ingredients in a large bowl on low speed, scraping sides constantly for 30 seconds.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, occasionally scraping sides.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar and butter with a mixer.
- Stir in vanilla and milk.
- Beat until a smooth spreading consistency.
Looking for something delicious to eat for dinner before you have dessert? Try Hawaiian Haystacks, White Chicken Chili, Plantation Ham and Pinwheels, or Homemade Mac and CheeseHomemade Mac and Cheese.
Please pin this recipe for later: