I love comfort food. Especially through the fall and winter. I love eat something warm and creamy. The battle is that I also want to make something easy. My Nana used to make this deliciously easy homemade mac & cheese for my mom and then my mom would make it for me. It was always a special treat, but it can be an easy weeknight meal too!
There are lots of varieties of mac & cheese. This recipe calls for american cheese and is so quick and easy it can be whipped up for lunch or as a side for dinner. I can make anything that only takes 30 minutes.
I add a little salt, pepper and parmesan cheese to top of this recipe. Try it. Even have the kids try it. They will never want boxed mac & cheese ever again. The Mr. loves box mac & cheese and even he was convinced this was an even better alternative. Plus, the recipe uses real cheese so it’s got to be better than the box too.
What are your favorite comfort food recipes?
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated in the can)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Boil the macaroni according to package directions, drain, set aside in a large bowl.
- While the macaroni is cooking, rip the cheese into smaller pieces in a pot with milk.
- Heat on medium low until melted, stirring regularly.
- Stir in flour and cook another minute.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix until coated.
- Serve immediately garnished with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- For the 8 slices of cheese I use American cheese from the Walmart deli. They slice it there. Otherwise use a cheese like Kraft American Singles.