This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GarageCleanUp #CollectiveBias
I’m going to tell you a little secret about myself. I’m sure you’ve heard of organized chaos. It sounds like an oxymoron, but you can be organized in chaos. My organization style has a little bit of chaos, but sometimes that gets to me and I just have to buckle down and actually get some true order happening in my life. That place now is my garage. It seems like we should be able to fit our cars, bikes, lawn tools, etc in that space, but it is becoming a maze.
We attend a fair in our area every fall and I have seen expensive garage organization systems that I could never afford, but would be helpful. I was super excited that I found the Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Garage Organization System at The Home Depot. It is simple to install and you can customize it to your needs at a great price.
My little shopper helped me find all the right attachments to organize our garage.
To complete my garage organization project I purchased the following.
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® 48 Inch Wall Panel $14.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® 48 Inch Rail (purchased 2 of these) $9.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Wall Hardware Pack $1.97 (don’t forget these)
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Rail Hardware Pack (purchased 2 of these and don’t forget these) $1.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Hardware Tray $5.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Tool Cradle $2.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Vertical Bike Hook (purchased 2 of these) $9.30
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Large Hook (2 pack) $3.27
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® 2-Handle Hooks $9.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Wall Peg (4 pack) $2.97
- Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Hose Hook $10.97
That’s a total of $95.54. Way cheaper than a custom garage organization solution and I was surprised at how easy it was to install. Plus, using the space in between studs allows for way more storage.
Here is the messy before. We have a bunch of boxes that need to be moved out and the bikes are taking over! It is so hard to get in and out of the cars without knocking something over. I can see all that white space on the walls and it will be the perfect place to store all of our garage stuff for fall.
How to Install a Rubbermaid® FastTrack® Garage Organizing System
Installing the Rail
1. Be sure you have all the correct tools and read through the instructions included with the system. We thought we had all the correct drill bits, but didn’t so had to borrow some.
2. Use a stud finder and level to mark where you will drill pilot holes. Be sure to follow the directions for installing into the studs correctly to support the weight of all the things that will be stored on the rails.
3. Insert anchors. Place the rail over the pilot holes and screw the rail to the wall.
4. Slide the outer black rail cover over the rail and add attachments.
Installing the Wall Panel
1. Be sure you have all the correct tools and read through the instructions included with the system.
2. Use a stud finder and level to mark where you will hang the wall panel.
3. Have another person hold the wall panel in place and drill the screws right through the wall panel into the wall and studs. Three on each side (we added a few other screws in the middle to be safe).
4. Hook on the attachments and organize your garage.
Here is how it turned out! So much space freed up. We can now get in and out of the cars easily.
This is a simple project, but it does require some extra hands. Why not get the whole family involved in the garage organizing so then you can go out for ice cream or watch a movie to celebrate.
How to get the whole family involved in garage organizing.
- Schedule a time and let everyone know about the garage organizing party.
- Plan a fun surprise for everyone who helps and tell them about it ahead of time so they will be looking forward to a big surprise.
- Give each person a specific job or area to clean. Tell one person to gather all the sprinklers or yard tools. Tell another one to gather balls and sports equipment, etc. Then it will be easier to go through.
- Have each person go through theirs stuff in the garage and determine if it is to keep or trash.
- Make it a game. Ideas: First person to clean an area the fastest, find 10 pieces of trash to throw out, etc.
- Turn on the music and dance while everyone is cleaning. This is a great time to introduce your children to your favorite songs.
I was most excited about the vertical bike hooks. What is your favorite attachment for the FastTrack system?
Follow along with Rubbermaid® on social media: