One thing I loved as a kid was decorating sugar cookies. It was always fun to get to frost and add my own touch to my cookies. It is an edible form of art. Especially perfect for children. Old fashion sugar cookies are a perfect holiday tradition. Make them any time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Grab the frosting, food coloring and sprinkles!
The other great thing about sugar cookies is that you can cut out any shape you like. Keep it simple with circles, or get exciting with snowflakes, trees, stars, reindeer, etc. Be sure to use color coordinating frosting with your sugar cookies. For trees do green, add a yellow star on the top and even some red bulbs or garland would be fun. Plus, don’t forget the sprinkles. Use all types and colors for a wide variety in how all your cookies turn out.
Grab the kids and get baking this yummy old fashion inspired sugar cookie recipe.
Old Fashion Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix well margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Chill dough at least one hour.
- Roll out dough on floured surface and cut out with cookie cutters.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add a little milk.
- Beat until smooth.
I'd love to hear your ideas!