I’m not an event planner, but I like to enjoy parties with family and friends. I want to share with you eight party tips that will make your parties WOW.
1. Planning is key. So you want to throw a party. Start by nailing down a theme, colors and what you want to do. I would start by searching on pinterest and blogs for great ideas. Make a list of the things you love and want to include in your party. Edit your list to include the “must haves” only. Then get to work. Search thrift stores, online, local party stores, dollar stores, etc. to create your party. I don’t always stick to my plan, but it gives me a good starting place. Then if I find something awesome that would work, I’ll include it, but then I don’t waste time looking at all the endless options without a clue what I want to do.
2. Keep it Simple. On the day of the party that is. Try to have as much done as possible before the big day. Leave only the absolute things that have to wait until the day of. This will make it more enjoyable for you and your guests.
3. Decorate. There are so many easy tutorials for tissue paper pom poms, pinwheels, banners and so much more that will make your party wow. Use these easy to make things to add color and patterns to your party. You can attach decorative items to a backdrop that could be placed behind serving tables. I have tutorial for this here.
4. Two words: Photo Booths. These are so much fun and are very interactive! Make props that match your party theme. For example: At a baseball party use mitts, bats, jerseys, catcher’s gear, etc. Find a lot of these props at thrift stores to keep it from getting to expensive. You can check out my DIY Photo Booth Tutorial here.
5. Food bars. The great thing about bars is they are interactive and you can use your imagination. Hot dog bars, candy bars, potato bars, s’mores bar etc. Just set up all the fixings and let people have at it. Cute little labels make a food bar wow!
6. Display is everything. Layers create a neat effect. Layers can be created by putting down a table cloth, a table runner and then layering plates. Then make things at different heights. Use cake plates, cupcake stands and jars.
7. Dress it up. Use washi tape and bakers twine on basically anything! These little touches help make a party special. Dress up store bought items. I know it can be hard to not get overwhelmed when planning a party (or when seeing all the cute stuff on pinterest). Don’t let it though. Go for a store bought cake and decorate it with your own frosting or make a mini cake banner. Drizzle donughts with frosting and add sprinkles. Make things your own.
8. Go the Extra Mile. Seriously, a little extra effort goes a long way. Like setting up a backdrop behind a serving table, or bringing couches outside for an outdoor movie party. Something easy and a little unconventional will go a long way.
Now for some video action on party tips!! I love hanging out with Matt and Libby on KPVI More. Here are a couple more party planning tips!!!
P.S. I think I’m almost getting more comfortable being filmed…haha almost.
What are your party planning tips?!?! I’d love to hear, cause I still get a little stressed when I plan parties.
Linking up with: The 36th Avenue, Fine Craft Guild, Transformation Thursday, House of Hepworth’s, Sugar & Dots, Sew Much Ado, Thrifty Tursday, The Weekly Creative, Two Girls and A Party, Artsy Corner, Shine on Friday, 504 Main, Love & Laundry, Do Something Crafty, Do Something Crafty, Tatertots & Jello, Six Sisters’ Stuff, What’s Cooking with Ruthie, Finding the Pretty & Delicious, I Heart Naptime, Keeping it Simple, Craft-o-maniac, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Monday Funday, Sew Can Do
Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog says
Awesome tips! I’m starting to plan my son’s second birthday party, so I pinned this for reference. I popped over from The Shabby Creek Cottage–thanks for sharing!
Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly says
I love planning parties, too. Great tips! 🙂
Love these tip! Pinning to my party board 🙂
My Recipe Magic/Six Sisters says
HI Emily! Thanks for sharing this great post on party tips! So cute! We are so glad you stopped by our Strut Your Stuff Saturday link party! Have a terrific weekend. -The Six Sisters
Diane | An Extraordinary Day says
Thanks for all the terrific party planning tips, Emily!!
And thanks for linking up at Monday Funday Party!!
Hope your week is Extraordinary!