Basic Crepes are a great base to so many meals. They can be great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Plus, so easy to make with this recipe and tips.
I’ve always loved crepes. I remember my mother making them often as a child. And I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to share our favorite recipe and tips on making perfect crepes.
Easy Tips for Perfect Crepes
Here are ways to get perfect crepes. They sometimes take a little bit of practice to keep trying!
- First off, I use an Electric Crepe Maker. I think this makes the process easier, plus produces nice thin crepes. You can try using a frying pan, but I think it is easier to invest in the crepe maker.
- Use a blender to mix your ingredients. This makes sure they are all blended evenly and it is so simple!
- Heat the crepe maker and pour the batter into a shallow pie dish.
- To use the electric you’ve got to be quick and it takes practice, but it is easy to get the hang of once you get in the zone. Turn the electric crepe maker upside down and dip into batter in a shallow dish. Immediately remove and turn back over and place on the counter to finish cooking.
- Watch the edges. Once they start to peel up a little bit from the crepe maker, use a fork to carefully slide it off the crepe maker and onto a paper plate. Cooking too long can result in hard to fold crepes.
How to Fold a Crepe
Here are four ways to fold a crepe, plus another fun way to serve them.
- Fold: Add filling. Simply fold on third into the middle, then repeat on the other side.
- Quarter Fold: Add filling. Fold in half, then fold in half again.
- Jelly Roll: Add filling. Roll up.
- Envelope: Add filling. Fold in thirds then fold ends into each other. And tuck one end into the other. (see video)
- Torte: put one crepe on a plate, add a thin layer of filling. Place other crepe on top, add a thin layer of filling, repeat, can frost top or add other sauces, then slice like a cake.
And if you want to watch how to do it.
Recipe and How to Make Crepes
Must have equipment for basic crepes: Electric Crepe Maker, blender, pie plate, paper plate.
Ingredients for basic crepes: milk, vegetable oil, eggs, flour, salt. All pantry staples! I love those types of recipes.
Preparation and Storing:
- Crepe batter can be made in advance and refrigerated. Make sure to mix well before cooking crepes.
- To store leftover crepes, place on a paper plate and place in a gallon sized plastic bag or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a week.
- Prepared crepes can be frozen. Store in bags and freeze. To defrost, remove from freezer and let stand for a few hours.
- Defrost and reheat at the same time by placing crepes on a baking pan. Cover with a moist towel and heat in an oven at 140°F until warmed, or can be defrosted in the microwave.
- Electric Crepe Maker
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Add liquid ingredients to the blender first, followed by the dry ingredients.
- Cover and blend until smooth. Scrapping down sides as needed.
- Pour into a shallow dish, like a pie plate.
- Quickly dip heated (sprayed with cooking spray) electric crepe maker into mixture.
- Cook until edges lift up and remove to a plate or cooling rack.
- Add filling and enjoy warm.
More of my favorite recipes:
- Spinach, Ham, and Egg Casserole
- Plantation Ham and Pinwheels
- Classic Waffles
- Snickerdoodle French Toast