Yay for Memorial day Felt Poppies! This is a great and easy way to craft and show remembrance on Memorial Day this year.
Poppies are a symbol of remembering those who passed away while serving out country during wartime. They were made popular in the famous poem “In Flanders Field” by John McCrae. Read more about the history of Memorial Day here. After your history lesson be sure to make this adorable Memorial Day Felt Poppy.
What you will need:
- 5 felt flowers (I cut mine out with a die cut machine but it would be easy to trace any cut out of a flower and cut out with scissors).
- 1 small white circle of fabric (fray edges a little)
- 1 black button
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Alligator clip or pin
Here are the easy steps to make your own Memorial Day Felt Poppy (plus a video tutorial below).
- Start with one flower for the base
- Fold each flower in half with the petals offset a little so they aren’t symmetrical when you fold the flower and glue it together.
- Fold the flower in half again and glue it in half
- Glue each petal to the base flower
- Glue white circle in the center of flower
- Glue black button in the center of the white circle
- Glue alligator clip/or pin to the back of the poppy
- You’re Done!
I shared this tutorial with Matt & Libby on KPVI More the other day. It will give you more ideas for Memorial Day.
What are your plans for Memorial Day?
Linking up with: The 36th Avenue, Transformation Thursday, The Weekly Creative, 504 Main, Love and Laundry, Shine on Friday, See Vanessa Craft, Six Sisters’ Stuff, What’s Cooking With Ruthie, I Heart Naptime, Ginger Snap Crafts, Snap Creativity, Time to Sparkle, Fine Craft Guild, Tatertots & Jello